A Certified EFT Therapist is one whose expertise in this model of therapy is recognized by the International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT). The primary goals of certification are to promote excellence in the practice of EFT and to ensure maintenance of these standards in both the supervision and training of this approach.
NOTE: On this website, the words “supervisor” and “supervision” are used expressly for the purpose of training in the EFT model, and do not imply / constitute any ethical / legal responsibility for cases discussed. For all intents and purposes, a Certified EFT Supervisor is an EFT consultant. All therapists receiving such supervision / consultation are wholly responsible for the therapy they provide and they are also responsible for receiving appropriate supervision, as required, by their respective governing and/or licensing authorities. ICEEFT requires that every effort be made to protect the confidentiality of the client. Any web-based sharing of information or encryption of sessions must be done in accordance with the standards of the professional college of the supervisor. ICEEFT is not responsible for supervisor’s actions in this regard.
Levels of Certification:
Pre-requisites for certification
- A post graduate degree in a relevant discipline / mental health field such as Social Work, Psychology, Education, Counseling, Marital and Family Therapy, and Pastoral Care.
- Membership in a recognized professional association, such as AAMFT, CAMFT.
- Current clinical therapy practice (must include some couples and/or families).
- License to practise psychotherapy in the state / province / region in which the applicant resides.
- Proof of malpractice insurance.
- Completion of at least one graduate course on the practice of couples / family therapy at a registered institution or equivalent.
- Membership in ICEEFT
All applications will be reviewed by an ICEEFT representative and applicants will be given specific feedback on their application, identifying areas of strength and ways to continue to grow and develop. Applicants that are not successful in their application are encouraged to work on their development with support from ICEEFT staff.