Outline of basic requirements
- An ICEEFT-endorsed EFT Externship led by a Certified EFT Trainer: 28-30 hours over 4 days.
- Core Skills Training led by a Certified EFT Trainer, 48 hours over four 2-day workshops, focusing on EFCT and EFIT with examples from EFFT. If five is offered, the fifth is an optional 2-day workshop.
- Individual supervision by a Certified EFT Supervisor, Trainer or approved Supervisor Candidate, 8 hours. (Individual supervision may be with two people.) Also, four of these eight hours may be in a group supervision setting as long as the supervisee is presenting their own work with the undivided attention of the supervisor. Supervision can be face-to-face or long distance. ICEEFT requires that every effort be made to protect the confidentiality of the client. ICEEFT is not responsible for supervisors’ actions in this regard.
- Current clinical therapy practice (must include some couples and/or families).
- License to practice psychotherapy in the state/province/region in which the applicant resides.
- Proof of malpractice insurance.
- Membership in ICEEFT.
- Therapy Excerpts: Applicants are asked to provide two therapy excerpts, one from Stage 1 and a second from Stage 2, with a focus on the moves of the EFT Tango. The Stage 1 excerpt and the Stage 2 excerpt must be from a couple therapy session. Excerpts are to be video sessions, audio sessions are not acceptable and will only be accepted in exceptional circumstances with a written request from the supervisor for permission from the ICEEFT certification team. Zoom sessions are acceptable. A case conceptualization for each client in the video excerpts is to be submitted and should include a summary of presenting problem, attachment history, cycle, case progress to date, and therapist self reflections. A video release form is also required for each excerpt. The whole session is to be submitted, with excerpt to be reviewed start and stop times to be indicated on transcripts. For more information on the video submission guidelines, please see this page.
Application Procedure to become a Certified Emotionally Focused Therapist
Please review the Certification Application Requirements Checklist prior to submitting your application.
The fee for review and administration is $600.00* CAD. The fee is payable here.
Please send the following to ICEEFT via upload to Hightail (https://spaces.hightail.com/uplink/iceeftcertification):
- A cover letter
- A summary of previous clinical training and experience, including the number of cases treated, the clinical setting, and the type of supervision.
- A current Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Three letters of reference from professional colleagues
- A letter of reference from current EFT Supervisor
- Copies of all relevant documents from the list of prerequisites noted above.
- Documentation/evidence of completion of the requirements, equivalents and supervision.
- Video recording with transcript of 2 sessions, one showing Stage 1 and one showing Stage 2, as detailed above. Whole session is to be submitted, with excerpt start and stop times to be indicated on transcripts.
Please note that all application materials will be deleted immediately after being reviewed by ICEEFT.
EFT Certification Discount for those in countries with low per capita Gross National Income:
*The standard fee for review and administration of $600.00 CAD can be adjusted in three ways if an applicant is from a country outside of North America and their country’s gross national revenue is below the North American standard. The following sliding fee scale applies for the ICEEFT Therapist Certification process and is based on the Gross National Income (GNI) per capita, Atlas method, of the world’s countries:
- Applicants for ICEEFT certification from countries whose GNI is $30,000 or more will pay the standard application fee of $600.
- Applicants from countries whose GNI is between $20,000 and $30,000 will pay 2/3 of the standard application fee, or $400.
- Applicants from countries whose GNI is less than $20,000 will pay 1/3 of the standard application fee, or $200.
People from lower-income regions who are applying for EFT Therapist Certification can request a reduced certification fee by filling out the following form.
EFT Certification Discount for those facing Systemic Barriers
Applicants from minority groups who face systemic barriers (or primarily serve clients who do) and have financial challenges can apply to have a portion of their certification fee waived. To apply for a fee waiver, applicants can fill out a request form here.
All applications will be reviewed by an ICEEFT representative and applicants will be given specific feedback on their application, identifying areas of strength and ways to continue to grow and develop. Applicants that are not successful in their application are encouraged to work on their development with continued support from a Certified ICEEFT Supervisor. An additional video may be requested to demonstrate identified areas for development. There is no further cost for an additional review of a requested session.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I am receiving supervision from a Supervisor Candidate (formerly “Supervisor in training”). Do these hours count towards my certification?
Q: I have heard I could do conjoint (2 therapists) supervision with a Certified Supervisor or Certified Trainer and both therapists can count these hours. Is this true?
Q: Each supervisee counts each hour spent in dyadic supervision. I have heard I could do supervision in a group and still count these hours. Is this true?
A: Yes, you can count up to 4 hours in a group setting, as long as you present your own work and receive feedback from the Supervisor.
Q: How many hours do I need to complete for individual supervision?
A: Eight hours is the minimum amount of supervision hours.
Q: Can I begin individual supervision before I have completed Core Skills?
A: Yes. Individual or group supervision can begin after the Externship has been completed. We recommend that folks begin taping their sessions after the Externship.
Q: I have missed a module of my Core Skills training. What can I do?
A: Speak with your trainer and make other arrangements.
Q: What videos do I need to send to ICEEFT?
A: One video showing Stage One work and one video showing Stage Two work. Each video must be from different sessions. Please refer to guidelines for EFT Therapist certification and criteria for further information. You will find this on the Member’s Website.
Q: How long should the videos be?
A: The videos are to be 20 minutes long for each Stage; however, the whole session needs to be uploaded with the start and finish times indicated on the transcript.
Q: Can the recordings be audio?
A: The recordings need to be video. If this is not possible, permission to send an audio tape needs to be secured from the ICEEFT board or staff representative.
Q: Do I need to send a transcript?
A: Yes, all videos need to include a transcript with the moves of the Tango noted in the transcript. You can also include your reflections on your work and identify what you would want to improve.
Q: Can the two videos be 2 different clients?
A: Yes, but each client needs to have a case conceptualization completed.
Q: Can I send in several clips from a session for one stage? How do I know what to include in the video clips?
A: Each video should include moves of the Tango. It may not be possible to include all five moves in a 20-minute segment, especially in Stage One. However, the Stage Two video should include moves 2, 3 and 4 of the EFT Tango. Please refer to the document on the member’s website that outlines video requirements. It is also recommended that you consult with your supervisor about the readiness of your work.
Q: What happens if my video clip does not meet expectations?
A: Specific feedback is given with the request to send another video that includes what has been identified as missing. There is no charge for any additional review of certification videos.
Q: Do you offer a badge for websites to those who have done the Core Skills training? I’d like to show potential clients on my website.
A: Unfortunately, we don’t offer a badge for your website. You may state that you have completed EFT Core Skills training.
Q: How can I learn more about what weekends each Core Skills training meets?
A: Click here to see a list of upcoming Core Skills events. Clicking on the links will bring up information about the event, such as dates, etc. You can also contact the event organizer.
Q: How long does it normally take for certification review and approval?
A: If you don’t hear about your application after 4 weeks, please contact Moira O’Neill, email@example.com.
Q: I recently applied to attend an online Externship. Can you please confirm whether I am on the list of attendees?
A: Please reach out to the Externship organizers/trainers.
Q: What should I do if I completed Core Skills and have not received my certificate of completion?
A: Please contact the organizers of your Core Skills training to get the certificate.
Q: What should I do if I submitted an application for Supervisor Candidate status but never received a formal acceptance note or receipt for the fee?
A: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: Where can I find information on who organized a training in a certain country?
A: Visit iceeft.com and use our Find a Therapist search page and/or our ICEEFT-affiliated Communities/Centres page.
Q: Where can I find the document to register as a Supervisor Candidate?
A: Click here.
Q: Where can I find the EFT Therapist Certification Video Release/Consent Form?
A: Click here.