Outline of basic requirements
- An ICEEFT-endorsed EFT Externship led by a Certified EFT Trainer: 28-30 hours over 4 days.
- Core Skills Training led by a Certified EFT Trainer, 48 hours over four 2-day workshops, focusing on EFCT and EFIT with examples from EFFT. If five is offered, the fifth is an optional 2-day workshop.
- Individual supervision by a Certified EFT Supervisor, Trainer or approved Supervisor Candidate, 8 hours. (Individual supervision may be with two people.) Also, four of these eight hours may be in a group supervision setting as long as the supervisee is presenting their own work with the undivided attention of the supervisor. Supervision can be face-to-face or long distance. ICEEFT requires that every effort be made to protect the confidentiality of the client. ICEEFT is not responsible for supervisors’ actions in this regard.
- Current clinical therapy practice (must include some couples and/or families).
- License to practice psychotherapy in the state/province/region in which the applicant resides.
- Proof of malpractice insurance.
- Membership in ICEEFT.
- Therapy Excerpts: Applicants are asked to provide two therapy excerpts, one from Stage I and a second one from Stage 2. Excerpts are to be video sessions, audio sessions are not acceptable and will only be accepted in exceptional circumstances with a written request from the supervisor for permission from the ICEEFT certification team. Zoom sessions are acceptable. At this time, EFIT tapes are not accepted for certification. For Stage 1, EFCT (Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy) or EFFT session tapes are accepted. For Stage 2, the tape must be EFCT.
Application Procedure to become a Certified Emotionally Focused Therapist:
Please review the Certification Application Requirements Checklist prior to submitting your application.
The fee for review and administration is $600.00. The fee is payable here.
Please send the following to ICEEFT via upload to Hightail (https://spaces.hightail.com/uplink/iceeftcertification):
- A cover letter
- A summary of previous clinical training and experience, including the number of cases treated, the clinical setting, and the type of supervision.
- A current Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Three letters of reference from professional colleagues
- A letter of reference from current EFT Supervisor
- Copies of all relevant documents from the list of prerequisites noted above.
- Documentation/evidence of completion of the requirements, equivalents and supervision.
- Video recording of 2 sessions, one showing Stage 1 and one showing Stage 2 work with a transcript.
Please note that all application materials will be deleted immediately after being reviewed by ICEEFT.
The standard fee for review and administration of $600.00 can be adjusted in three ways:
If an applicant is from a country outside of North America and their country’s gross national revenue is below the North American standard, the fee can be adjusted. The following sliding fee scale applies for the ICEEFT Therapist Certification process and is based on the Gross National Income (GNI) per capita, Atlas method, of the world’s countries.
- Applicants for ICEEFT certification from countries whose GNI is $30,000 or more will pay the standard application fee of $600.
- Applicants from countries whose GNI is between $20,000 and $30,000 will pay 2/3 of the standard application fee, or $400.
- Applicants from countries whose GNI is less than $20,000 will pay 1/3 of the standard application fee, or $200.
Some variations may apply as determined by the Education Committee – particularly if a Trainer is involved for a non-English therapist certification process on a case by case basis. To receive a discounted application fee, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Certification Diversity Discount
We recognize that some therapists may find the cost of certification difficult. We also recognize that some therapists work in settings where they are paid less for their services. For this reason we are offering a $200 discount to those in need. In cases of exceptional need, there may be other discount amounts available; we ask that you include these details in your application.
Through this discount, we seek to provide greater support for those dealing with the consequences of systemic social and professional barriers, and to help address disparities in the wider EFT and mental health communities. Specifically, these discounts are intended for therapists who:
- identify as belonging to a marginalized group, AND/OR
- work primarily serving marginalized groups
- AND have financial needs such that they could not pursue training without a scholarship.
Because there are limited funds available for discounts, we ask candidates to please reflect on whether they truly need a discount to proceed with their certification. We want to ensure that funds are available for those who need them most.
To apply for the ICEEFT Therapist Certification Diversity Discount, please complete the application form. If your application is successful, you will receive a link to a discounted payment form.
All applications will be reviewed by an ICEEFT representative and applicants will be given specific feedback on their application, identifying areas of strength and ways to continue to grow and develop. Applicants that are not successful in their application are encouraged to work on their development with continued support from a certified ICEEFT supervisor. An additional tape may be requested by a member of the Certification Committee to demonstrate identified areas for development. There is no further cost for an additional review of a requested session.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I am receiving supervision from a supervisor in training. Do these hours count towards my certification?
Q: I have heard I could do supervision with another therapist and still count these hours. Is this true?
Q: Each supervisee counts each hour spent in dyadic supervision. I have heard I could do supervision in a group and still count these hours. Is this true?
A: Yes, you can count up to 4 hours in a group setting as long as you present your own work and receive feedback from the supervisor.
Q: How many hours do I need to complete for individual supervision?
A: Eight hours is the minimum amount of supervision hours.
Q: Can I begin individual supervision before I have completed core skills?
A: Yes. Individual or group supervision can begin after the externship has been completed. We recommend that folks begin taping their sessions after the externship.
Q: I have missed a module of my core skills training. What can I do?
A: Speak with your trainer and make other arrangements.
Q: What tapes do I need to send to ICEEFT?
A: One tape showing Stage one work and one tape showing Stage two work. Each video must be from two different sessions. Please refer to guidelines for EFT Therapist Certification and criteria for further information. You will find this on the Member’s Website.
Q: How long are the tapes?
A: The tapes are to be 20 minutes long for each stage, however, the whole session needs to be uploaded with time start and finish indicated on the transcript.
Q: Can the tapes be audio?
A: The tapes need to be video. If this is not possible, permission to send an audio tape needs to be secured from the ICEEFT board.
Q: Do I need to send a transcript?
A: Yes, all tapes need to include a transcript. Label the moves of the Tango in the transcript. You can also include your reflections on your work and identify what you would want to improve.
Q: Can the two tapes be 2 different clients?
A: Yes, but each client needs to have a case conceptualization completed.
Q: Can I send in several clips from a session for one stage? How do I know what to include in the video clips?
A: Each video should include moves of the Tango. It may not be possible to include all 5 moves in a 20 minute segment, especially in Stage one. However, the Stage two tape should include moves 2, 3 and 4 of the Tango. Please refer to the document on the member’s website that outlines tape requirements. It is also recommended that you consult with your supervisor about the readiness of your work.
Q: What happens if my video clip does not meet expectations?
A: Specific feedback is given with the request to send another tape that includes what has been identified as missing. There is no charge for any additional review of tapes.
Q: Do you offer a badge for websites to those who have done the Core Skills training? I’d like to show potential clients on my website.
A: Unfortunately, we don’t offer a badge for your website. You may state that you have completed EFT Core Skills training.
Q: How can I learn more about what weekends each Core Skills training meets?
A: Please visit https://iceeft.com/core-skills-training/. Clicking on the links will bring up information about the event dates, etc.
Q: How long does it normally take for certification review and approval?
A: If you don’t hear about your application after 4 weeks, please contact Moira O’Neill, email@example.com.
Q: I recently applied to attend an online Externship. Can you please confirm whether I am on the list of attendees?
A: Please reach out to the organizers/trainers.
Q: What should I do if I completed Core Skills and have not received my certificate of completion?
A: Please contact the organizers of your Core Skills training to get the certificate.
Q: What should I do if I submitted an application for supervisor-in-training status but never received a formal acceptance note or receipt for the fee?
A: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: Where can I find information on who organized a training in a certain country?
A: Visit iceeft.com and use our Find a Therapist search page and/or our ICEEFT-affiliated Communities/Centres page.
Q: Where can I find the document to register as a supervisor candidate?
A: Click here
Q: Where can I find the release/consent form?
A: Click here
Q: Can I submit EFiT tapes for Certification?
A: No, you cannot submit Individual Therapy tapes for Certification. If you can do EFIT, that doesn’t necessarily mean you can do EFCT or EFFT. But the reverse is true: if you can do EFCT or EFFT you can do EFIT. Accordingly, EFCT and EFFT tapes are the only tapes accepted for Certification at this time.